One such business book for me was “The E-Myth Revisited” by Michael Gerber. It’s a quick read, and his style is easy to understand. The AMOUNT of work he wants you to do, however, is overwhelming!
But I have a couple shortcuts to share with you.
First – about the book: This book is all about designing your company, and getting what’s in your head down onto paper so others can follow your methods and do business the way YOU want it done. In another of my posts, I talk about the importance of leveraging your energy through others, because there is only ONE OF YOU to go around! This book is a GUIDE on how to do that effectively.
ALL THOSE HATS!
Business owners wear many hats. If you started like I did, you’re in charge of marketing, sales, order fulfillment, office supplies, book-keeping, cash management, banking, retirement planning, customer service, and so on. You have a way you like to address each of these, and you “just know” what to do when you’re wearing that particular hat, right?
Well, guess what. If you’re the only person who knows how this stuff gets done, then YOU are the only person who can DO IT. And you are now limiting your company to the amount of time you have.
YOU HAVE TO get this stuff out of your head, in writing, and it becomes your Operations Manual (YAWN). OK, I GET it! But you HAVE to do this WORK, and the sooner the better! And you will thank yourself later for starting NOW.
WHAT TO DO (the shortcuts part!):
- Draw an Organization (Org) Chart. Start with how business gets done in your company. Draw boxes on plain paper, a white board. Doesn’t matter. Really! Start on the left, like you read, with Marketing (because that’s first), then Sales, then Order Fulfillment or Operations, then Admin and Billing (that’s usually last). These would be the most basic steps. Modify as you see fit. No need for too many details.
- Now put your name in EVERY BOX, because there’s only one you, and you’re wearing all these hats, right? If you have a partner, or other managers in the business, NOW is the time to decide who’s doing what.
- Next, put the absolute MINIMUM steps under each box that must be done to accomplish these tasks. 3-5 bullet points should be sufficient. Of course there’s more in your head – all the details – but those come out later.
- Then you start hiring people (or you have them already), and YOU get to decide which of these boxes you’re giving to them. And it’s CRUCIAL THEY UNDERSTAND which ones are theirs.
- During the early stages – the training process if you will – have THEM document the details (now they come out) as you do a brain dump. The what, how, when, tools needed, guidelines, details – they all come out now.
- And a final step – DELEGATE and MANAGE! This topic is such an art and science, it deserves its own article.
DO THIS WORK NOW, and you’re leveraging yourself, your knowledge, and how you want things done in your organization. Now you’re freed up to do the things you’re best at – the things you love to do. Now you’re BUILDING a BUSINESS.
Let me know how it goes. Ask questions and make comments here. This is one of the MOST IMPORTANT things you can do to build a company. Promise! ☺
And, as always, please SHARE this if you liked it. I need to grow MY business too!
Enjoy episode 5 of this podcast.